Monday, March 10, 2008

Yay for crazy timing....

I've been job searching for a while now. Well, sort of. I kind of knew my path. My eventual goal is youth ministry, but I figured there would end up being some teaching along the way. My general plan was to sub for the rest of the school year(got employed, just no jobs), then, if I didn't find anything else, wait tables for the summer and get a teaching job in GCISD or another local district until God opens a youth ministry spot for me. Well the subbing thing hasn't been working out. Even with going "unavailable" for a couple of days last week due to the death of my uncle, I have only been called once. While I could have decided to just start seeking sub jobs in other districts, I thought "Hmm, maybe God just wants me to seek other avenues of employment. With all the twists and turns my life has taken, His having another job in a field I never considered would totally not surprise me.
In response to the thoughts of potential other careers, I jumped on the first two ideas that came to me: Monster.com and Craig's List. I spent about a week emailing out resumes and emailing a bunch of different companies in search of something. About a week later I had an interview with an insurance company. They actually seemed to like me, but I never heard back from them. Not two hours after I got home from that interview I got called by a marketing consulting firm and we set up an interview for Today(Monday).
If there is something I know, it is how to talk an sell myself to people. I can get people to buy into who I am because I am totally open and honest. I walked into the interview and the interviewing manager(Henceforth the im) asked me what my long term goals were. I told him I wanted to get into youth ministry and we then got into a conversation about churches, ministry and his experience doing church plants. He's also related to Billy Graham.
Long story short(to late, I know) is that the interview went flawlessly. I was really amazing. Later I'm sitting at home killing time waiting for them to call when I get an IM(Instant Message...lol) from a friend who teaches in the High school less than five minutes from where this company is. She tells me that the school has a fresh open English Teacher position open. All I could think is AUGH! Then the story gets funny. The im promised me he would call me between 4 and 5. I think "Hmm, well I'll just wait until 5, then if he doesn't call I'll assume he doesn't want to hire me and I'll fill out the app for the school."I finish the app about 6:15, and about 6:20 the phone rings and the im is calling me letting me know that he doesn't even want to do a second interview. He was so confident in our one talk that he is ready to offer me a job and get me in for training Thursday morning.

So now I sit here looking at God going Whatdya want me to do???? lol.

No comments: