Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pride and Provision, Ice Cream and Dublin Dr. Pepper

***************Warning: This is long, hackneyed, and it doesn't really even have a point until the end...AND the whole thing is pretty narcissistic, so few people will really care to read this, but it's what's going on in my life...And it has NOT been proofread. I say all that to say that I'm tired and I don't care if my grammar is terrible tonight.******

For those of you unaware, the last 3 months have been a series of whirlwinds blasting all around me. School let out, then I went into a period where I essentially worked every day in a crazy busy restaurant from December 16 through just a couple of days before New Years. I never really got a break. Even Christmas was terrible because I worked a ton over the holiday. But you can read previous posts for that one. After OneThing, God put me through a period where he told me "Shut up and get in My presence." What could I say but sure? He wanted to kill my pride. It's still lurking around in there, and at times it rears its ugly head. But I can now see it because I have looked it in the eye, and we aren't playing nice with each other anymore.
March came around and all I can call it is the month of frustration. I've never had to sweat so much about paying bills. Sweat mostly because of the job situation you can read about in previous posts as well. I ended up taking the job with the marketing consulting firm, and, surprise, I've spent the last week cold call, business to business selling.
I never expected to be doing this. It's hard, but I for whatever reason feel like this is what God is calling me to do. So often lately I have seen the slogan from The Rebelution in my head: "Do Hard Things." I don't know why God is calling me to do this. It's a surprise to everyone around me. I'm not a salesman. I don't like to push or pressure people. Which means I just have to work harder. I do enjoy getting in and talking with people. I had some great conversations today. Especially in that moment when I couldn't do it anymore....
This afternoon I was done. I couldn't take it. I wasn't getting anywhere. Like I said, there are aspects to my job I like: I like to talk to people, I like the opportunity to just enjoy this beautiful Spring Father has blessed us with. I, believe it or not, love the feeling of getting to put on a suit everyday and feel professional. But at one point this afternoon, I was done. I decided this wasn't what God wanted for me. Obviously I had misheard. I know where I want to be. The aspects I love about the job are(Somewhat) the aspects that are of the job I desire in youth ministry. But God hasn't released me to do that yet. At about 3 or 3:30 this afternoon I was driving around Downtown Grapevine depressed and frustrated. I couldn't do it anymore. And God said "Excel in this." That's all He said, but I heard him clearly. I said "God, if you do want me to do this, I'm going to need your provision. I'm getting nowhere." I wish I could say He answered my prayer with a series of amazing sales, but God works in mysterious ways. However in the last hour of working I did manage to set up myself for some pretty decent business that should pan into good money next week.
But God wasn't done talking. Tonight I got to go hang with the Remnant at Jason's Deli. Prior to that I had been at Wal-Mart and they had cans of Dublin Dr. Pepper. If you don't know, DDP is a weakness of mine. I LOVE that stuff. But it was twice as expensive as the regular Dr. Pepper. I really wanted some. I've also been craving Ice Cream lately. Especially this afternoon when I was frustrated and tired. I wanted Ice Cream. I almost got some at Wal-mart, but I decided not to. So anyway. I got to Jason's deli, and spent some good quality time with dear people. They all left because they'd spent the day together, leaving me to enjoy my delicious half sandwich I didn't get to finish while I was chatting with everyone. When I got my drink, they had Dublin Dr Pepper. I didn't think much of it. But after I finished my sandwich, I was walking out with an ice cream cone. I love those sugar cake cones they have there. I took my first lick of my ice cream and God spoke in my ear "See, I will provide for you the tiniest of things. You desired Ice Cream and Dublin Dr. Pepper. I provided them. I know what you need, so how much more faithful do you think I will be in those things?"

I couldn't help but smile as I walked out of Jason's Deli tonight.

1 comment:

Natasha said...

hey, again I love this rant, especially the ending!...(can't remember if I said anything on facebook)...your comment box here was looking very empty and lonely so I thought I'd spruce it up a bit!